Once you have checked that you satisfy the admission requirements, please read through all of the following information. There are two stages to the application process:
1. Complete the School of Graduate Studies Online Admission Application
- You must apply via the School of Graduate Studies (SGS) online admission application website.
- Once you have paid the SGS $120 registration fee, your application will be submitted to the Department of Medical Biophysics.
- Your application will not be reviewed until all required documents are received.
Upload the following required documents to the SGS online application:
- A letter of intent summarizing your academic achievements, special research interests, and any previous research-related experience. Please indicate up to 5 faculty member(s) whom you would like to work with in the letter. This component should be a maximum of 1.5 pages in length (1 inch page margins, 12 pt. font).
- An updated resume or Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Submit contact information for two referees. Be sure to inform your referees that you are submitting an application and that the University of Toronto, School of Graduate Studies will be contacting them by e-mail. Letters of reference written by referees who can comment on your academic and/or research abilities. The reference forms are here.
Transcripts from recognized Canadian universities: In lieu of a scanned copy of a paper transcript, applicants may upload an Adobe PDF file of their academic history from their university’s student web service which includes the university’s grading legend and the applicant's name. Keep in mind, the admissions committee may request an official hard copy of the transcript. Internal applicants do not need to send original University of Toronto transcripts as ROSI print-outs are acceptable
After the review, applicants will either be provided with a "conditional offer of admission" which indicates their application is acceptable thus far, or they will be denied admission. Applicants receiving a conditional offer are then required to provide official paper transcripts (sealed envelope) from all institutions attended and send them the Admission Office address below.
2. Mail the following required documents to one of the addresses listed below.
- Proof of English Proficiency. If your primary language is not English, and prior degree(s) have been completed at a non-Canadian university where the language of instruction and examination was not English, you must provide results of an English language proficiency examination as part of the application.
- Tests must have been taken within the last 24 months of the submission of an application. Electronically reported scores should be sent directly by the testing agency to the University of Toronto (Enrolment Services). The only test for which the University of Toronto will accept paper scores is MELAB.
Paper Based Test & TWE
Internet-Based Test IBT
|7.0 (with at least 6.5 for each component)|
76 (with at least 22 in each component and 32 in the writing component)
|Final grade of B in Level 60|
Normally, if applicants meet any one of the following conditions, they are not required to submit proof of proficiency in English.
- Native language is English (language first learned and still used on a daily basis)
- A Canadian citizen who studied at a Canadian university where the language of instruction is French
- Has obtained an undergraduate or graduate degree from an institution recognized by the University of Toronto and where the language of instruction and examination is uniformly English (if your transcript does not state this, applicants should make arrangements for an official statement to be sent from their institution confirming the use of English as the language of instruction and examination.)
- Completed a degree in one of the following countries: Australia, Barbados, Botswana, Ghana, Guyana, Hong Kong*, Ireland, Jamaica, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Malta, Namibia, New Zealand, Nigeria, Papua New Guinea, Sierra Leone, Singapore, South Africa**, Swaziland, Tanzania, Trinidad and Tobago, Uganda, United Kingdom, United States of America***, Zambia, and Zimbabwe
* Applicants from the Chinese University of Hong Kong are required to provide proof of English proficiency.
** Some applicants from South Africa may be required to provide proof of English proficiency as not all universities teach in English.
*** While textbooks and research materials used at universities in Puerto Rico are often in English, Spanish is the language of instruction in some universities.
Please send transcripts and, if applicable, English Language test results to the following address:
Department of Medical Biophysics
MaRS Centre, PMCRT
101 College Street, Rm. 15-708
Toronto, Ontario, M5G 1L7
Incomplete applications will not be considered. It is the responsibility of the applicant to follow-up on any outstanding documentation.