Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI)
- recruiting students, faculty, and staff that reflect the diversity of our society.
- maintaining an environment of equity and fairness where all can work and learn.
- assuring that our programs and curricula prepare our graduates to meet the needs of the diverse communities they will serve in their careers in Canada and around the world.
For more information, please see the Faculty of Medicine Diversity Statement.
Learn more about how the Faculty of Medicine fosters and promotes equity, diversity and inclusion at the Faculty EDI Website.
MBP EDI Code of Conduct
MBP fully embraces the University of Toronto statement on equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI). In that context, all members of the department will:
- incorporate consideration of EDI in student recruitment, training, and evaluation as well as faculty recruitment, retention, and promotion, toward the goal of greater diversity in the MBP faculty and in the professions pursued by MBP graduates, reflecting broader society.
- identify unconscious bias disadvantaging specific groups and develop strategies to mitigate its impact in all departmental activities.
- encourage open discussion of EDI issues that is respectful and evidence-based.
MBP Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee
The Medical Biophysics Equity, Diversity and Inclusion committee meets regularly to discuss and address issues related to EDI within the department. This committee also develops outreach workshops and hosts EDI seminars that all MBP students and faculty are encouraged to participate in.
Current MBP EDI committee members:
Vinayak Bhandari, Yr 3 Phd student in Bristow/Boutros lab
Stecia Marie Fletcher, Yr 2 MSc student in O’Reilly lab
Dr. Thomas Kislinger, MBP Professor and MBP Dept Chair
Dr. Bojana Stefanovic, MBP Associate Professor
Dr. Graham Wright, MBP Professor
EDI-Mandated Representatives on Departmental Committees
Dr. Anne Martel, MBP Professor, MBP Student Admissions Representative - Uptown
Dr. Thomas Kislinger, MBP Chair, MBP Student Admissions Representative - Downtown
Dr. Bojana Stefanovic MBP Associate Professor, MBP Executive Committee Representative
Dr. Graham Wright, MBP Professor, MBP APC Committee Representative
If you would like to know more about the MBP EDI Committee, please review the Terms of Reference (PDF).
To learn how to get involved, or if you have any questions, please email MBP EDI Committee Chair Dr. Bojana Stefanovic.
Upcoming Departmental EDI Seminars
- Friday, March 1, 2019, 9:30-11:30 am - MSB 2377: "Helping Your Mentees Help You in a Diverse and Inclusive World" - a discussion and interactive workshop hosted by Dr. Imogen Coe and Ms Anita Balakrishna. Register here.
EDI Training Opportunities
- New Initiatives Offer Jobs, Funding to Women Only. The Scientist.
- Canadian Science Community Gathers Momentum in Improving Gender Equity. The Scientist.
- Athena SWAN is an Ugly Duckling. Times Higher Education.
- Advancing Women in Science, Medicine and Global Health. The Lancet. Volume 393, Number 10171. p493-610, e6-e28.
- What You Don't Know: The Science of Unconscious Bias.Association of American Medical Colleges.
- The MBP EDI Committee ran a department-wide survey on demographics and initiatives in the fall of 2018. The results can be found on the MBP Executive Committee Website. Please note that the MBP Executive page is password-protected, so this page can only be accessed by faculty. If you are a current MBP student and wish to review these results, please contact Dr. Bojana Stefanovic.
- University of Toronto Strategies for Recruiting an Excellent & Diverse Faculty Compliment
- The Graduate Conflict Resolution Centre is a partnership between the School of Graduate Studies, Student Life and the UTGSU. Through the centre, graduates students can talk confidentially to a member of the G2G Peer Advisor team about resources available to support grad students, conflict resolution strategies, and options for dealing effectively with any issue or dispute, including issues related to equity, diversity and inclusion. Individual appointments can be booked at the G2G Website.